Monday, September 12, 2011

Groovy Book Review!

I've been reading to Babydoll since she was in utero; she's now eight months old and fascinated by the pictures, the rhythms and tones of my voice as I recite to her, and I occasionally kid myself that she's actually following the story.

I was starting to toy with the idea of reviewing children's books, here and there, when I was contacted by an author whose book had just been published, asking if I would read it and post a review.  "Yeah, dude!  Hell yeah!"  I believe my answer may have been a bit more professional than that, but you get the idea.  I was excited then, and now having read and shared the book with my daughter, I'm really excited to share it with you.

Aleza Freeman and Howard Freeman


The book is a collection of "poems and drawings for kids and the kid @ heart."  The poems are funny.  Really, really funny.  They are clever, playful, and a few of them border on flat-out silly, which is exactly what children's poems should be.  The pictures ("doodles") are bright, amusing, and definitely hold Babydoll's interest.  Her personal favorite, now that we've read the book several times, seems to be "Fish Food:"

She runs her hands over the doodles for "Fish Food" while screeching,
which translates to "Mama, this is sooooooo freaking awesome!"

Groovy Mama's favorite poem is titled "Alphabetland."  Here is an excerpt:

"There once was a day when W met E.
They joined together and formed a WE.
Their love grew stronger as time passed by
and they became F-A-M-I-L-Y."

Yeah.  Awwww.  Overall, the twelve poems in the collection, and their accompanying doodles, passed the Babydoll test.  Not only was her attention held the first time we shared it, but every time since then, she giggles, swats at the pictures, grabs it from me, and waves it around.  You might think that's just normal behavior for a baby of her age, but trust me, if the kid is bored, she's not shy about letting us know.  I love the whimsy of the drawings and the wit of the poems.  It's a fun book for any collection, and I'm happy to give it two groovy thumbs up (I was gonna say two peace signs, but that was predictable.  You deserve better.).

Special thanks to Big Doodlehead


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for the groovy review and the thumbs up! We are totally honored! We love the photographs you took (and may need our own copies!)and we are so happy that your Babydoll enjoys the colorful pictures in the book. For your first book review, this is total perfection (not that we're biased or anything). Thanks again, Groovy Mama Jess!! We're smiling from ear to ear.

    ReplyDelete