Thursday, March 3, 2011

This Season's Hottest Accessory: Your Baby

I love wearing my Babydoll.  What am I talking about, Willis, you ask?  "Wearing" your baby means you shun the stroller or baby bucket in favor of carrying your baby against your body in a sling or wrap.  I wear Babydoll when we're out shopping, or for a walk in the park, or around the house while I'm cleaning (whaaaat?  Exposing the baby to toxic chemicals?  No way, dude.  Vinegar and baking soda.  Next week.  Stay tuned, pal.). 

There is a plethora of benefits to wearing your baby.  The main reason I wear Babydoll is because I treasure her so greatly, I want to be as close to her as possible, as often as possible.  Wearing her against my body, she gets my body heat, can hear my heart beat, and gets the comfort of being cuddled with her mama, while leaving my hands free for things such as blogging.  For a newborn, there is nothing more resemblant of the womb than babywearing.  The natural rhythm she became accustomed to while in utero is mimicked when I wear her, which brings her comfort and security.  Babywearing has been practiced for centuries; back in the day, before baby monitors and day care, mothers had to keep their babies close to ensure the baby's survival, while still being able to labor, either in the fields or in their homes.  The solution?  Wrap that baby to your body!

There are so many products available which enable you to remain in constant contact with your beautiful baby.  Here's the lowdown:

1.  Moby wrap.  Very popular amongst the babywearing set.  The Moby is one long piece of fabric, which is wrapped around the mother's upper body, and encloses the baby in a variety of holds.  It's excellent for mamas who breastfeed.  I have yet to master the Moby.  Incidentally, you can make your own Moby for a fraction of the cost.  See here.

2.  Ring sling.  My current favorite.  This is a fully adjustable sling that can fit almost any body type.  There are TONS of ways to wear your baby in a ring sling, from newborn to toddler.  They are easily packable, in a diaper bag, purse, backpack, etc.  I carry one in my car and keep one in the house.  Loooooove the ring sling.  By the way, it's totally easy to make your own!  Unless you're me and can't sew for shit.  In that case, make friends with someone who can.  Always good to broaden your horizons, right?  Especially when it works in your favor.

3.  Pouch (or pocket) sling.  My other favorite.  Non-adjustable, but usually sized to fit your body.  The pouch works in a similar way to the ring, although there are not as many holds that work in pouch.  I love my pouch when Babydoll is sleeping; I can slip her into cradle hold and go about my business.  Check out this cuteness when we went to lunch with my brother, sister-in-law and awesome nephew last weekend:

"No pictures, please.  Contact my publicist."

4.  Mei tai.  I have no experience with this carrier, so I can't say much about it with any authority (a lot of what I say has no authority, but I bullshit pretty well).  I know some mamas who absolutely love this kind of carrier; it's like an adjustable backpack that can be worn front or back.

5.  Infant carrier.  There's the super expensive Baby Bjorn, or the moderately expensive Ergo, or the somewhat reasonable Boba (which I just purchased at 70% off on Zulily.  Woot!  Mama loves a sale!), and a lot of other brands.  This is a backpack style carrier; it's very comfortable for daddies who don't want to rock a sling or wrap (and Babydoll's Daddy is the reason I bought the Boba).  This kind of carrier is best used for an infant who has established head control.  Nothing worse than a bobble-head baby hanging off your chest.

I had this epiphany a few days ago: 9 months wasn't long enough, so I'll keep holding my daughter until she asks me to put her down.  If that means I'm carrying around a 15 year old, I'm cool with it.  I wonder what I'll wear to her prom?

5 comments:

  1. We wore both of our kids and loved it... the only note I have is that the Baby Bjorn can be hard on tiny infants spines. My chiro recommended waiting until they can hold their necks up before using that one. My favorites were the Moby wrap, the Ergo, and we had a Babyhawk Mai Tai. (it was lined and so very warm during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note, Joi! And for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure! We are total baby wearing AP parents. (or as my sister calls us *granola hippie freaks*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you for the most part. Wear her until you just can't do it any more. I do warn you of this though. As she grows, obviously, she will get heavier. I had a lot of neck and shoulder trouble because I carried all 3 of my kids as long as I could. So please be careful or you will want to hold her and cant because of an injury, (just words of wisdom since I've been there 3 times!) And there WILL be times when you just need the stroller. Promise! ;) Anyway, love you and Your daughter is absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Stace! She is already getting heavier, but that's just more motivation for me to get myself into shape. From what I've read, it's easy to hold them incorrectly, which causes back pain and neck strain. We do have a stroller, but it's still in its unopened box in our guest room. I know we'll use it one day...a trip to Disneyland???

    ReplyDelete